Retaining walls are the structures designed for restraining soil to unnatural slope. These walls are used for bounding soils between different elevations often in terrain areas that are possessing undesirable slopes. It is also used in areas where landscape may need to be shaped and engineered for some specific purposes such as; roadway overpasses and hillside farming.
Benefits of Retaining Walls:
- Retaining walls have many aesthetic and practical uses. They also make the landscape look attractive and very useful. They in fact add value to the homes and business. Such walls must be constructed using high quality materials, though at reasonable prices.
- Retaining walls must be constructed with huge durability and long lasting features. Besides, such walls must be earth-friendly. Adding retaining walls with natural materials will increase to the beauty of the garden. These walls are highly versatile.
- Retaining walls in addition to being durable, the maintenance is also very low. There is no need to bother about maintaining the wall once it is constructed. However, it is absolutely safe and could stand to any weather conditions. Therefore, the need for repair is absolutely less or no.
- These walls are highly functional, once they are constructed properly. These walls can efficiently withstand tons of weight, when constructed properly. They can also be built to save space and create eye-catching vertical gardens. It is also quick to install. These walls are highly economical, than the traditional walls.
- They are ecologically friendly. People are now turning towards naturally built walls that need only 50% of concrete. Retaining walls made of sustainable products will be long lasting, affordable and beautiful. Such walls bring only less impact on the environment
- Choosing green materials will be a great option to improve the environment and it also improves the appearance of the home
Various Types of Retaining Walls:
Some of the major types of retaining walls are:
These walls depend on the mass of stone or concrete mortarless stone and segment concrete units are used for building short landscaping walls. The dry-stacked gravity walls are flexible and may not require rigid footing, particularly in frost area.
This type of walls is made from steel reinforced internal stem that is cast-in-place concrete. These walls can load large and structural footing converting to the horizontal pressures from behind the walls to create vertical pressure on the ground below. These types of walls are sometimes buttressed on the front and include counterfort on back for improving the strength to resist high loads.
These walls are used mostly in soft soils and in tight spaces. They are made of steel, wood planks or vinyl that is driven into the ground. Taller walls need tieback anchor placed in the soil to some distance behind the wall face.
This type of walls can be constructed in any styles and it also includes additional strength by using cables. These walls are driven into material with boring and the anchors are expanded at the cable end, either mechanically or by injecting pressurized concrete. However, this type of walls are technically complex.
On top of mentioned information about Retaining Walls, please get on here for more functionalities.